Monday, March 11, 2013

Shimmer

There are some pieces that just seem to shimmer with feeling.  Fantasy in A Minor by Mary Leaf is such a piece.  I ordered it because I saw it was chosen by the National Federation of Music Clubs.  I expected that it would be good, but this piece just sparkles!


I found this recording on YouTube so you can also appreciate the sparkle.  (Not my student or my recording.)  I'm not sure I would play the beginning/ending 16th notes quite that quickly, but it is well done.

 

Sheet Music Plus describes this piece as "This intermediate level romantic style piece opens with cascading hand-over-hand arpeggios that flow into a middle section featuring a lyrical R.H. melody with an extended broken chord accompaniment. After an eight-measure bridge section using a few chords and some L.H. melodic playing, the opening material is revisited."

Quick Look:
Key: A Minor
Level: Intermediate
Note Values: Sixteenth, dotted eighth,
Pedal, hand over hand playing, rolled chords, accidentals,

This piece is definitely something for students with great finger dexterity.  The opening theme is quite demanding, as is apparent in the recording.  The midsection has a hauntingly beautiful right-hand melody.


All in all, this is a challenging and beautiful piece for an intermediate student. I don't have many intermediate students at the moment, but I'm going to stick this in my pile of pieces to play often.

Available for $3.50 at Sheet Music Plus.

(The above link is my referral link.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment