Sunday, February 24, 2013

I Met a Llama at the Zoo... But not in Peru!

The Llama by Judith R. Strickland has been in my head for days.

My poor husband.  He keeps hearing me sing that simple melody with those fun words:

I met a llama at the zoo, but I never met a llama in Peru.
I met the mama of a llama at the zoo, but I've never met the mama of a llama in Peru.
Llamas make humming sounds, sometimes weigh four hundred pounds
I met the mama of a llama at the zoo, I confess I've never traveled to Peru.  Have you?

This is part of what makes my job so much fun.  There are memorable melodies with cute words just running around my head all the time.  I love when I am able to introduce something like this to a student who is looking for something a little more fun than a method book.  

I'm hoping this blog will enable other teachers to introduce their students to new songs as well.  I am very grateful that I have the ability to get new music every once in a while to introduce to my students, but my favorite way to get music is by recommendations from others.

I can tell you about The Llama
Level: Elementary
Middle C Position, no movement
Does include slurs, staccato, accents,
Quarter, half, and whole notes
Teacher duet included

This song has been chosen by the National Federation of Music Clubs.


With this information, you would be able to tell which students would enjoy playing this piece.
I can also let you know this song is put out by FJH for $2.50 as a solo sheet.
You can purchase it from Sheet Music Plus.

It's also available from FJH as part of their "FJH Federation Favorites Book 1"  This entire book is composed of only NFMC choices.


And now, I've found it on YouTube, which means you can have it in your head too!


No comments:

Post a Comment